Turnpike from Buxton to Macclesfield is indicated by an old gritstone milestone. It is off the beaten track near the Cat & Fiddle Inn and is by the side of the old 1759 turnpike which ran from Buxton to Macclesfield before it was replaced in 1823 by the current A537 road.
It is marked on the OS as MS rather than the usual MP and is in better than usual condition as many are found in an eroded state but the lettering on this one is excellent (2007).
The South East face is particularly clean and is carved – To Macclesfield 6 miles.
The North West face has a coating of lichen presumably because it is the shadier side and is carved – To London 164 miles.
The Cat and fiddle was not built at the time of the 1759 turnpike but it was a difficult route as the original turnpike descended 300ft to the head of Goyt’s Clough and then climbed again before a final descent into Buxton. Unsuitable for the increasing weight of horse-drawn wagons
In order to overcome this tortuous route power was sought in 1821 to construct a new turnpike. This was a mile longer but maintains a steady gradient from the Cat and Fiddle to Buxton.
In 1815 the turnpike trustees presented plans for an alternative route with less inclines this was approved and subsequently completed in 1823.
A traveller of the new turnpike in 1831 described the Cat and Fiddle as ‘a newly erected and well accustomed inn or public house’; it was built by John Ryle, a Macclesfield banker.
The old and new roads joined near Burbage Church on the outskirts of Buxton. The original turnpike, from the fork near Burbage Church, is still called Old Macclesfield Road.
When the new road had been completed in 1823 the old Toll-house at Gosling Bar was sold for £45 to the trustees of Buxton as it adjoined some of their land.