Coldwall bridge over the Dove at Thorpe is dated 1726 and has a milestone of 1822 on its eastern side. Unusually this has a metal plate attached to a gritstone post inscribed ‘Cheadle 11 miles’.
The bridge is approximately 100 yd long and was widened to accommodate increased traffic. There is one main span and two smaller arches on the Western side, these were incorporated to take flood water.
Formerly the bridge gated and there is still a gatepost standing with its partner laid by it. Originally a former coach road but is now virtually disused.
The bridge fell into disuse at the start of the motoring age, the gradients proving too steep for the cars of that era and an alternative route was found.